If you have any questions, please post them to a comment on this entry. I will receive all questions in my email and will reply to you as quickly as possible. This way, too, others can benefit from the answers.
Anyone with a LiveJournal account can post his or her stories to the silwritersguild community. You do not need to be a member of the community; you do not need to have the community "friended."
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to post. Please ask if you have any questions.
1. Log in to LiveJournal.
2. Go to the silwritersguild userinfo page. The url for this page is http://community.livejournal.com/silwri
3. At the top of the userinfo page is a handy set of toolbar buttons. You will find the second button from the left to be a blue pencil: This is the button that allows you to post directly to silwritersguild, regardless of whether you are a member of the group. Click the blue pencil.
Clicking the blue pencil opens a fresh journal page that will post directly to the silwritersguild community. There is no need to select silwritersguild as the posting destination.
4. So, all you need to do next is to type in your name, title, rating, et cetera, as outlined in our posting guidelines. Add an lj-cut, paste in your story, click the button marked "Update Journal," and you're done!
Now that brings up a new issue: What in the world is an lj-cut and how do I use it?
An lj-cut hides the material enclosed within it behind a link on our journal and on readers' friends pages. It keeps long entries from cluttering people's journals and also prevents under-aged readers or people who do not want to see adult-rated material from being exposed to it. In order to read the entry, the person must choose to click the link; it keeps silwritersguild a fun, comfortable place for readers of all ages and preferences.
For example, this is how an entry with an lj-cut would appear in our journal:
In order to view, for example, the new challenges, you would need to click the "April's Challenges" link. That would take you to a new page displaying that information.
So how do you do an lj-cut?
1. To begin, type in the information that you do not want behind the cut, such as the title and rating. This is important to keep outside the cut, otherwise, people won't be able to decide whether they want to click on the link.
2. Next, you're going to add lj-cut tags as shown in the illustration below.
3. Paste your story between the opening and closing lj-cut tags as shown in the illustration above. Anything included between these tags--text, images, links--will be hidden behind a link on our journal page and on members' friends pages.
4. Click the "Update Journal" button and you're finished!
5. To check that your entry and the lj-cut posted correctly, you can check it on our journal page. The url for our journal page is http://community.livejournal.com/silwri
Admittedly, it's easy to make a mistake when typing HTML tags. We all do it, and sometimes you might need to go back into your entry and fix a botched lj-cut or a typo that you just noticed. If you want to edit an entry that you've already posted:
1. If you are in the journal view, simply click on the red pencil icon in the upper right corner of the entry.
2. If you are in the comments view, click on the blue pencil icon in the toolbar at the top.
Either method will reopen the entry, and you can change anything from the entry itself to the userpic you've selected.
SWG Posting Guidelines
LiveJournal FAQ: lj-cut and Other LiveJournal-specific Tags
LiveJournal FAQ: Basic HTML for Formatting Text